Thursday, May 15, 2014

The Higher They Rise, the Harder They Fall..

WARNING: There will be dead animals in this blog. It will not be pretty and it will be somewhat unpleasant if you are not comfortable with death/exposed flesh/blood/gooey stuff/grossness.
  

Please turn away now if you are unable to stomach matters as listed above.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The last two eggs were dead. They were sweating while the others were hatching, but I had slight hope that they may magically hatch out and all would be good.

So when the last Axanthic popped out, I cut the dead eggs.

And of course, I found two more Axanthic Clowns.

The first one was actually reasonably well formed, and what I believe to be a Pastel Axanthic Clown.
This can't really be confirmed, as being in the egg and decomposing somewhat, the colors of animals do tend to change.


But the head color is the indicator that leads me to believe it the most. 


Moving on, I opened up the other egg, and knew that this guy wouldn't have survived anyway.

It was completely underdeveloped. I'm not sure when it stopped, but it looks pretty bad.


The spinal cord and back never fused together, and the head was misshapen.


Had somehow this animal managed to survive to pip, I would have still had to put it down. 


And as you can see, it was still attached very much to the yolk and didn't seal up on the belly either. 
Now let's go back to analysis of the other one. 

The color is pretty established on the malformed animal, so I put them next to each other to compare colors. Remember, they died around the same time.


Do you see what I'm seeing?

Do you see the obvious color difference?

I don't think I'm super crazy, but I tend to err on the side of conservative before announcing official things. Especially considering this would have been a world first, as I understand it.

So... whether it is or not, it didn't make it.

But I will be trying again, and this time with the Pastel Clown for sure to confirm my suspicions.

What do you think?


 But on a positive note, three beautiful girls survived.
Something to be grateful for. 



Have a great day, my friends. 

And remember, life is fleeting. Don't take anything for granted.

Your friendly life reminder from your saddened Ball Python Breeder Wonginator.

No comments: