Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Sacramento Recap and Musings

So it's been a few days since Sacramento, and I have to say, it has always been a family affair.

Kids come around wanting to touch and hold, parents are there to teach and exhaust their overhyped children, and everyone wants hand sanitizer. (I have several bottles on the table, and EVERYONE uses it... even if just to come by and pump some out, ignoring my greetings)

I enjoy teaching people about the awesomeness that is Ball Pythons, but I get the oddest questions. Let's review some, shall we?

"So these are Boa Pythons?"
My response: Those are two different types of snakes. These are BALL Pythons.
"So Boa Pythons?"

"Do you have 'X species'?"
My response: No, I only have Ball Pythons, I'm sorry.
"Are you sure?"

"Did you know your shirt says Shlong on it?"
My response: It says Shlange, which is German for snake.

"I'm worried that these snakes will eat my (insert large domestic critter that would destroy said snake here)"
My response: I do not think that would be a problem. They are rather docile, and I'm almost certain your (animal) will be able to defend itself. Also, it wouldn't be an issue if your caging is appropriately locked up.

"Are these snakes poisonous?"
My response: No, even if you do eat them, you will be fine. I don't suggest it, however. They are also not venomous, which is what I am pretty sure you meant to ask.

There were also times where I was impressed with the depth of knowledge from some of the people I talked to. It's rather hit or miss, and of course one must not judge a book by its cover.

No matter what, the interactions with people is always what I enjoy the most about shows. It was a pleasure to see some familiar faces and meet some new ones. Customers from years past come thru and tell me about how their snakes are doing. Apparently there is a snake out there that I produced whose name is now "Pasta". I love it!


What I find interesting about shows are the people who talk to each other about buying, while all right in front of me. In a different language.

Here's the problem with that...

I speak several languages, including Spanish.

I've caught a lot of comments in languages I'm supposed to not understand that are rather unflattering, or just plain rude. Of course, this spans not just snake shows, but many other facets of life.

I'm not exactly sure how people can justify that, but I guess that is something one must accept.

And of course the fun part is answering in the language a question they were asking their partner or friend.. MWAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!


Anyway, the next show we will be doing is going to be San Diego in November, which will be a first for me. I'm looking forward to it, and I hope to meet many new customers there. And throngs of people in Heather's Herps shirts. :)


Have a great day, my friends.

No comments: