Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Photography and the Industry


It is extremely important to take good photos in this hobby/industry. 

Why???

Well, I don't know about you, but if you live in New Jersey, you will not be able to see my snakes in person unless you took a long trip to a show (which I think is a fantastic idea, you should totally come out here...) 

So how do I, Heather Wong, show you, Miss or Mister New Jersey, my snakes and the quality in which I produce?

Photography.
Clear cut, no blurry pictures photography. 

Pictures of your snakes can make or break a sale. 

I admit that there are some crappy photos of some of my snakes online, and I really believe that that is part of the reason why they are not sold.


Now there is no reason for you all to go out and buy the top of the line camera out on the market today. I almost guarantee it is more than you would ever need, and if you just took your decent point and shoot and learned how to focus it correctly, there would be fantastic photos oozing out of the memory card you are using in a heart beat. 

Someone asked me back in the day what kind of camera I use. 

I use a Panasonic DMC-FZ7. 
I've used it for YEARS.
Why haven't I upgraded?

Cause I really don't know how to use anything fancier. 

Now if you do, feel free to get your rocks off on a top of the line camera. 
I would LOVE to have one, but how I see it is that it just doesn't make sense to buy a new one if I have no clue. This is not to say that I don't want a nicer one, I'm just content for now with what I have. 

Yes, I just point and shoot. Sometimes I use the flash. 

Ooooooh! Fancy.


I do not do anything other than that. Sometimes I crop, but I don't have the software to do anything cool. 
Now this brings me to photographs of other more technologically inclined people.

People will edit photographs to make things look better. This happens more often than not in lizards (Bearded Dragons and Cresteds is where I see it most often), but can happen with any animal photo. 

You are out there looking for the brightest orange Pied you can find... Well, hey! I can show you one with a few tweaks of photoshop.
Doesn't mean that it is legitimate when you get the box to your house.
So be aware. 

I hate to be so doom and gloom about people, but I have seen it happen, and it is worth it to be cautious rather than ignorant. 

And yes, this pied is really that brown/orange... AND WHITE!


So what do you need to take from this blog today other than the fact that I took photos?

Brush up on your snake photo taking, my friends. 

Click away, share on the forums, get some feedback. 
And do it again. 
And again. 
And AGAIN. 

It's a never ending skill you will need.
Perfect it with whatever camera you have.


Have a fantastic day, my friends!

No comments: