Monday, March 19, 2012

Nolvasan



I just ran out of Nolvasan, so I decided to write a blog about it.

(That's usually how my blogs end up with a topic... Random occurrences thru the day that blossom into awesomeness)

I buy Nolvasan (Chlorhexidine diacetate 2%) instead of the cheaper version of Chlorhexidine Gluconate 2% (which I have purchased before) due to the supposed efficacy of the product comparable to each other.

Nolvasan is a bactericide and virucide that is ineffective against Pseudomonas aeruginosa or gram-positive cocci on inanimate surfaces. There are studies published confirming the veterinary efficacy of it, as well as it is the common cleaning agent in veterinary hospitals.

Chlorhexidine gluconate is what you find in your dental products and so forth. It is a bactericide and a virucide, but there are not many studies that I have found other than this one, which is convincing that it works well.

What is the difference other than the price? ($60-80 for the Novalsan, $11-$25 for the Chlorhexidine)

You just need to use less of the Nolvasan versus the Chlorhexidine.

For what I use it for, which is hard surface cleaning, I have not seen anything that convinces me that Chlorhexidine should not be used.

I just find that I can be more confident in using Nolvasan knowing that Vets use it daily. And so do I.

I have heard also that it looses efficacy when not mixed and used immediately. I have not seen anything that supports that claim that I can truly agree with, as the chemistry behind it seems solid.
(If you have found something otherwise, please feel free to share!)

Here is a large list of articles in regards to the toxicity and usage of Chlorhexidine Diacetate: HERE

Of course, I am not trying to convince you to use one versus the other, other than to say I've used both, and I am going to use Nolvasan again.

Bottom line is, they both work, they are both blue, and you have to dilute it. You should use some form of Chlorhexidine, be it Nolvasan or otherwise.

Clean with care, clean with something useful.

Have a great day, my friends.

4 comments:

Chris R said...

I just debated the other day over which one to buy and decided on the Chlorhexidine gluconate. A gallon delivered from Amazon was a whopping $13.78. My thought was since I keep my snakes tubs clean and don't introduce animals that haven't been quarantined properly, do I really need the strong stuff?
But on the other side of the coin Nolvsan doesn't cost that much more when you consider the thousands of dollars worth of animals someto car have e for. Is it worth it to skimp?

Chris R said...

Messed the end of that comment up didn't I. What I was saying is Nolvsan may well be worth the extra $$ when you consider the thousands of dollars worth of animals it's used for.

Unknown said...

Exactly, Chris. That's why I get Nolvasan. I can't pin down the exact difference between the two other than chemistry, but in terms of the working factors, I find that Nolvasan is used all the time in Veterinary practice. It just makes sense to do what the Vets do, which again is not to say that the other doesn't work. I am not sure. I just would rather do the Nolvasan.

Kelly A. said...

I use Chlorhex......so does the small animal practice where I work. Also, I get my Chlorhex from my horse vet so vets use both products. Make sure with both products that you use distilled water to dilute it because the chemicals in tap water will degrade the efficacy of it.