Friday, February 5, 2010

Who to believe???

I've noticed a lot of questions about what is what and who is what and what is who and so forth...

And let me put it to you straight.

There is, for the most part, no right answer.

In this industry, there seems to be several right answers to the same question.

Let me explain why this is even coming up.

Kerig asked me why I choose 1200 grams as the go to weight for my females. I have found that 1200 grams is a safe MINIMUM for my females. Bigger is obviously more preferable, but...

Have I had females that size not take? Sure! But I've not had any slug outs from females 3 years old and 1200 grams. I've had slug outs from larger females that were younger, so it is absolutely subjective in terms of what is best for what particular animal.

Which is why there is no right answer. It just depends. Trial and error so to speak.

The same goes for morph names, terminology, and genetic terms as well (to a point).

Spelling and phrases are also up for debate, but... not as much. There is the general consensus, and those that don't agree. But such is life, no?

So even with my blog, take what I say with a grain of salt.

There are the absolutes, however.

Let us cover them.

ABSOLUTES:

Care for your animals well and with compassion
Feed and house and water your animals
Appreciate them and their personalities, even the love bites
Share them with those who want to learn about them


There are plenty of other things you need to know in terms of breeding and health care, but the basic basics are now presented to you.

Overall, even in general its pretty simple. Its just a matter of who to listen to.

Hopefully I'm eloquent enough and answer your questions well enough to handle what you need to know!

If not, I can at least point you in the right direction!


Have a fantastic day, my friends.

1 comment:

Kerig Pope said...

I totally agree with your 'absolutes'!
As for the weights for females I know it's all luck no matter how hard I try avoid slugs. But because I have a limited number of females to breed this season I find myself checking and rechecking that I not making a classic newbie mistake. Then there's the worries that the males won't breed, things will go bad during incubation, I'll produce a bunch of normals...ARRGGG! I'm going to pull out what little hair I have left!
;-)