Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The importance of good photography


I was going thru some old old old photos I took of the original females I had, and the ideas I had in terms of making some really cool interesting photos of the snakes.

I took a look at them, and realized a few things that are very important in this business.

Let me share it with you.

TAKE GOOD PICTURES.

Internet photos are the world in terms of selling animals, and the better the photos are of the animals, the more likely you will be able to find a buyer.


You have to have a good camera, or at least one you know how to use. One that has auto focus, and a quick shutter speed.

It doesn't have to be an expensive camera by any means, it just has to do the basics.

When I started out, the digital cameras were still in the process of getting good at the price range I could afford.

So, I tried and failed with what I had.

Yes, it took pictures, and yes, you can see them now, but my skills with the camera now versus then are humungously different.


The colors are off, the flash was not ideal, the focus was not sharp.

I have to say, if I used my current camera (I shoot with a Panasonic DMC-FZ7), these photos would be much better.

And I would be more proud to use these photos in terms of displays for the website, which was what the intent of these photos were.

But... it took many different attempts, lights, flashes, colors to figure it out.

Now what do I use to take some of my best pics?


I use a white erase board as the background (which is usually clean and reflects a decent amount of light), my flash, and auto focus. 

Simple, right?

Well, it took me a few years to figure it out.

So my suggestion to all of you out there is to play with your camera (It's fun anyway!) and see if you can find your own way to get good detailed photographs of your animals. 

You won't be dissapointed. 



Have a fantastic day, my friends

No comments: