Friday, August 3, 2012

..sigh.. Complications


Let me begin by saying I love what I do. I really do. Hatching out snakes and playing with genetics is a ton of fun to me, and I greatly do enjoy it.

There are instances wherein I complain and resent some of the things I have to deal with, but overall, I really do enjoy breeding Ball Pythons.

Take last night, for example. I come home, I check my snakes, and I find this female on eggs. This is my Pastel Yellowbelly female, and she was bred to the Super Pastel Lesser male. Should be an awesome clutch, right?

RIGHT!


Problem is, how is it that I am going to identify right out of the egg, what some of these babies are?

YBs can be subtle, and I would hate to call something what it isn't, only to find out later I was wrong.

Perfect example is this clutch right here that hatched last night.

This is my Firefly to Pewter clutch.

No problem, right? You can tell what things are... 

WRONG.

Maybe I'm having an off day, maybe I'm trying to see things I'm not...

I see 0.1 Fire, 1.1 Pastel somethings, 2.0 Pewter somethings, and a 0.1 Sterling Fire. 

Pastel somethings and Fire

I just don't want to claim that these things are Fire something without seeing them after a shed.

The only two I am 100% sure of is the Sterling Fire and the Fire.

The rest, we will have to wait and see.


Let us remember that I have hatched out a Pewter Fire before, although she was a Black Pewter Fire...

So with the Cinnamon Pewters, things tend to be lighter anyway.


Of course, while I was pondering, I thought this would be a great idea to pull a Pewter and compare.
Problem is, I only have Black Pewters to compare with right now. And he's already shed... so of course much darker than the newly hatched Cinnamon Pewters anyway. 


So I am stuck not calling it. I know what I think they are, I know what I HOPE they are, but until they shed and grow a smidge, I am going to let you guys let me know what you think.

Even with the Pastels too..

Breeding with multiple genes can be a pain in the ass, that's for sure. I kinda miss the good ol' days where I could be 100% sure IN THE EGG what I had.

But where is the fun in that, right?

Have a great day, my friends.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

Yeah. Huh. My first call is that they're pewters? I think that's what Nancy the Attack Snake looked like when you hatched her. But who knows what they'll look like in a shed or two.