Thursday, October 11, 2012

How I do it

Breeding season...

ACK.

Still freaking out about it, honestly.

But here is what I do.

Since I live in Southern California, we don't have seasons, per say.

We have temperature changes.

I begin by just opening up the window in the Snake Room, and letting the barometric pressure do its thing.

Rain is a good thing when breeding Ball Pythons, and that is usually the best time to plan to pair.

I don't cool anyone, but I keep the temps a balmy 86-88F in the racks at all times. Not super hot, but not too bad either.

Random Snake Picture

From there, I pair up three days on, three days off. Males get offered food every time they get put away back in their own tubs.

Males go into Female tubs, things happen (or not), and three days later, they go back home. 

I begin pairing on my Birthday, which is October 29th. This year, I may push it back, since I am sorely unprepared. 

Females are allowed to be in rotation if they are 1500 grams or larger and older than two years, males when they are producing sperm plugs and are 500 grams or larger and older than one year. 

Breeding until I see ovulation, or palpate for follicles, and then it is break time for everyone. 

Artificial incubation, eggs incubate for two months. Heads pop out.

POW!

There you have it.

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask more questions and I will be happy to address them!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks for hte info! it's been raining here so i got my first locks already