Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Palpating revisited

Well, I just did a bunch of palpating of some of my females, and I'm going to be honest with you all out there.

I'm concerned.

Palpating is basically feeling for follicles in the lower abdomen area of the female.

I tried.

And in some females I expected to feel a bunch, I felt nothing.

And some females I expected to feel big follicles or eggs already, I'm feeling squishy spaces and hard smaller than egg things that feel suspiciously like slugs.

Now, am I okay with this?

No, not at all.

This is one of those times I wish I had an Ultrasound machine to allay my fears.

But not the case...

So I sit.
And wait.
And keep pairing.

I've been missing all the signs that I like to see with my females, and now I'm even more concerned.

Because honestly, I'm just hoping its a late season this year now.

Better than slugs.....

Send me positive thoughts, my friends. I need it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sending good snakey vibes your way!

It must be something about this year, maybe. I had no idea where my one breeding female was in her cycle, no matter how much I palpated her (and she's an easy one to palpate!). And then a couple weeks ago, I feel holy-cow-those-aren't-follicles-those-are-EGGS! That was unexpected!

Jackie said...

Yeah, I've got that going on with my pied, the one I've been pairing with my black pastel. I'm giving her another month, then I think I might give up pairing her and start feeding her up for next year.

BUT! The 2007 supposed het lavenders are starting to pick up with the breeding. The female is glowing, and I can feel five follicles in her at about 15mm. FIVE!