Monday, February 27, 2012

Living with a Voice Lost

It has been a reasonable amount of time since I lost my voice...

However, this occurred very recently and is still the case. I believe it disappeared on Friday night?

Anyway, I woke up on Saturday morning with no problems. Feeling a bit sick, had a cold, no big deal.

Showered, brushed my teeth, got dressed, went out the door, and started on my phone calls for the day while on my way to do some chores.

As soon as I tried to talk (which at this point before I hadn't), it was gone.

Which is doubly terrible because I was trying to talk to a customer. It was rather embarrassing whispering into the phone...

So after I got back and did a few other things, I armed myself with the best tool I could think of to use.

My handy dandy whiteboard and pen. It actually looks similar to this one, really. Nice and small, black trim with a pen holder.

I have plenty of them, and that is what I use most of the time for photo backgrounds for photography sessions for the snakes.

I bought a small one for the babies, but never used it really... until this weekend!

So I went out, did more chores, and communicated with my whiteboard and pen.

A lot of people were thinking that I was a bit odd, which isn't that far from the truth, really, but what did they know???

It was an interesting adventure, and one that many people find odd.

Things I learned:
  • Most people need hearing aids, including Joel. 
  • Whispering is not the best form of communication in a Mall. 
  • People who do not know you are sick and do not have a voice tend to look at you funny for whispering.
  • The only time whispering is easily heard is when you are in a car with no music on, and even then, there are no guarantees that they really hear what you say.
  • Whispering is easily misconstrued, wherein the whiteboard comes in handy.
  • Text messages work too, but make sure your phone doesn't die.
As of right now, I still don't have a voice.

I am a bit concerned about how I am going to conduct business at work today, but... we shall see.

The mighty whiteboard and I will be there.

I just hope my business meetings don't require me to talk.

Have a great day, my friends!

No comments: