Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Too Cool!


As you may know, I ship exclusively with FedEx. I am shipping several boxes this week, and was wondering about the temps over on the East Coast.

So I googled "FedEx Hub" and I found this awesome little video of a day in the life of a standard FedEx flight.

I thought it was so super cool, I wanted to share it with you! The main hub is in Tennessee, and if you watch, you can see why.

Anyway, back to the grind.

My friend Anonymous asked me last week about smaller females and how small I breed them.

"how young do u breed your females? i have a bunch that are 1,200-1,300 grams and just recently went off feed, should i toss a male in? or wait til next season what are your thoughts"

I breed my females no earlier than 2 years ONLY if they are large enough. I do not breed females at 18 months, and I do not breed females smaller than 1200 grams. I like to try for three years old on females, and sometimes that is just the way it pans out.

I understand that some people out there are impatient, and I have been one of those people too. The call of getting eggs can and will be just too much to bear sometimes, and I have to admit that I really like the idea of getting eggs from females that I just hatched out the year before.

Tossing a male in with a female can spur up feeding responses in some animals, but can stifle others. It can trigger breeding, and sometimes it doesn't.

BUT... it can be costly. Some females will slug out, some females will not take, some females will stop eating in response to being bred. An already small female stopping growth due to early breeding? Not really worth it in my humble opinion.

But you CAN do it.

You just have to weigh the pros with the cons. Figure out in the long run if it is worth it to you.

Handle it, my friend Anon. I believe in you.

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!!! 


No comments: