Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Plans... Oh, how they change

So having a bit of time to peruse the collection, I stopped to look at things and how they are progressing.

Some animals are not eating as well as I would like.

Some 2011s are already overtaking some of the 2010s.

And with that, the heart sinks and the plans change.

It's kind of a mixed blessing, I suppose.

Some plans for some animals are no longer on cue, which gives other smaller animals who may do better things in the future more time to catch up.


Case in point: I have a Super Pastel het Hypo female that is from 2010 not even breaking 500 grams. Why, do you ask? Well, for the longest time, she would not eat for me. She was a mouser, and she and I were in a battle of wills to get one another to acquiesce. I would not back down, and neither would she for the longest time. But she finally did, and is now chowing down happily on rats.

The problem with this scenario?

I lost several months of good growth with her if I had just given in.

Should I have?

I could have... I just don't like feeding mice unless I absolutely have to.


Is it a personality glitch that I need to have everything my way?

Nah, I don't think so. I just need things to be easier in the long run, and I am willing to wait a bit.

Sometimes though, I kick myself for fighting the good fight. Now I have to wait with these gals and pump them up more now than ever before to catch them up to a good weight for the next season. Or wait some more.

Either way, that is why Ball Pythons have the reputation they have. They can be tricky, they can be a pain, but in the end, they are totally worth it.

I just have to remind myself of that when I see tiny two year old critters in my rack.

...sigh...


Have a great day, my friends.

3 comments:

Nick from Jenks,Ok said...

Is there a reason you don't want to feed mice?

Unknown said...

Mice are harder for me to get, and I dislike having to feed 5-6 mice one at a time for adult animals.

Plus they smell worse than rats.

Anonymous said...

i feel u! i got a bunch of females in the "if only u were feeding consistently u would already be breeding" rack lol