Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Reproducing is hard

For some, reproduction is not all its cracked up to be. It takes a while to get used to the fact that you can do it, what to put where, and when it comes time to actually get it done, sometimes its a struggle. 

This is certainly true for my beloved Spotty McGillicutty.

I watched him hatch out from his egg in 2009, and was so proud that I finally produced my bumblebee. 

I had great plans for him to be with females this year, but as you may recall, he was not having any of it. 

Until recently.


I have to say, I am ecstatically surprised that he has finally gotten the hang of it. I was getting very worried that he would not get the clue this season, and my plans for bumblebee reproduction would be put on hold for another year.

This would have made things very difficult for me, considering I have several planned projects, including an Axanthic Killerbee project, that would have been pushed back another year due to his inadequacies.

Yes, I do realize I was putting a lot of pressure on him.

Maybe that is why he didn't get it. Too much stress to perform, perhaps?

Be that as it may, he is even paired up with females three times as large as him. I am very happy to see it, as amusing as it is.


And of course, its rather simple for the males to get it done. The females have much more work to do after the courtship and mating has been done with.

This female is a poss het Caramel Albino that I am hoping to prove out this year, and she is doing an excellent job of building and being overall pissy. I am putting Carmine with her as we speak. Lets cross our fingers for lots of eggs with lots of non-kinked Caramels. 

I have to say, to be a female and have to carry eggs, let alone six eggs, must be hard and uncomfortable. I have also never been pregnant before, as I'm sure that is difficult as well.

Kudos to you Human Mothers out there. But just think... at least you don't have to lay eggs!

With that, have a fantastic day, my friends.

No comments: