Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Frustrations

Well, as we well know, it is breeding season.

And with that in mind, there is a huge frustration, albeit rather financially helpful.

Feeding.

When breeding season comes along, it is very difficult to get everyone feeding. Males go off feed cause of the sex, females go off feed cause of the eggs. Babies and sub adults go off feed cause, hey, why not...

And yes, this does help me in terms of buying less feeders, but the problem is that even when feeder amounts are on the low side, it is some times very difficult to figure out what to do with the left overs that inevitably occur.

And I greatly dislike housing left overs.

Not because I dislike rats, mind you. I just don't have a very good place to hold them. My facility does not allow for many rat cages or rat racks at all, so I have to make due with an ultra hugemungous tank for all of the left overs.

And cleaning that sucker is a pain, let me tell you...

So I prefer to not have any leftover rodents.

And a day that has no leftovers is a good day indeed.

But, in months of breeding, leftover rodents is to be expected.

So yes, if your male or female is not eating right now, yes it is normal, no, you should not be concerned, and yes, it is fine for you to try again in another few days.

Breeding season is great for creating more mouths to feed, but remember that the mouths that created those other mouths will get hungry too.

And then?

Feeder bill explodes.

Yeah, maybe I should just appreciate the lull in needing food.

Yeah.

Have a fantastic day, my friends.

No comments: