Thursday, June 9, 2011

Woma vs Spider


As I mentioned yesterday, I wanted to do a blog on Womas versus Spiders. They are pretty similar, and I went thru the collection to find the animals that looked the most similar to do this blog as well.

Now if you haven't guessed it yet, the one on the left is the Woma, the one on the right is the Spider. The major differences that are easily distinguishable are as follows:

Color: Womas are lighter (in general) than Spiders, as well as Spiders have the white sides. Womas do not. The darker areas of Womas are lighter in general than that of Spiders, which are usually black or dark.

Pattern: Womas tend to lack the alien heads, but there are examples of Womas with slight alien heads. Spiders exhibit the trait more often and again, the white sides are a dead giveaway.


Eyes: Womas tend to have darker eyes, while Spiders tend to have green. 

Head Pattern: Spiders have a distinct head pattern and golden head, but Womas have a light head in general. See photo below. Woma above, Spider below.




This photo is a great example of coloration differences as well as head pattern. I did this on purpose to hammer the point in. Yes, they look similar, but they are not the same.

Also, Womas tend to not wobble. I say tend to, because I don't like making absolutes when I'm not 100% sure.

I own several, and have yet to experience a wobble in the animals I am working with.


I hope this helps pin things down for all of you.

Have a fantastic day, my friends.

1 comment:

Eventide said...

Sadly, Womas can wobble. Mine has a severe wobble: half the time, she doesn't know what's up and what's down. She'll rest with her head completely upside down or sit with her head up in the air and tilted back.

It's very possible mine is a random case, though, which happens on occasion. I've heard other people say their Womas wobble, but I've never seen any videos or pictures, so I don't know how much stock to put in those.

Mine has a striking head pattern, kind of like yours but much more bold. She also has a neat little "X" in her pattern. That's why I picked her out of a group of Womas. But alas, I'll have to buy another one if I want to make Axanthic Womas. :-/

I really love your Woma. She has a nice, clean pattern.