Thursday, July 30, 2009

HR2811

Well my friends, I have been calling, watching the skies and waiting. Apparently, things are happening not quite as planned, but things are happening.

The Python Bill, HR2811 has passed committee.

What does that mean?

The bill was amended just to include African Rock Pythons and Burmese Pythons as injurious species to the Lacey Act. Originally it was intended for ALL pythons.

Well... USARK is attempting to get an amendment to the amendment to make sure that captive born and bred species are not included into the new bill.

Is this okay?

Well, in my opinion, I'm not quite sure how to feel. I feel great sympathy for Burm and Afrock breeders to whom this affects. But, there is a reason why personally I do not deal with the species in question, and my personal concerns spill over to how I feel about the bill. I think this is the wrong way to go, as it is very difficult to see it come to fruition and not become a domino chain of other legislation. But I do think that there needs to be some kind of control over larger species in the hands of people who do not know what they are doing. THEY are the reason why this is even an issue in the first place!

So.... with my own musings aside, I still believe much needs to be done to protect the rights of all reptile owners and breeders.

Also, if you want to follow the blog of some of my friends that have been in the thick of the fight, please feel free. Here is the link and there is a lot of information regarding what is happening, much more in detail, as these men are on the front lines in Washington D.C.

Thank you, Gentlemen!

So I beseech you, my loyal readers and newly found friends, please do your research, support USARK and PIJAC in the fight to prevent more legislation that will harm our hobby and our love for reptiles!!!

Have a fabulous day, and remember... the fight is not over.

No comments: